Monday, September 26, 2011

A very interesting beery week with my parents! Part One

Over the past 6 days I think I have drank more beer than I have done in the first 18 months that I have been in the UK. My Mom and Dad came over to meet my daughter Lydia for the first time and the beery goodness began almost as soon as they stepped off the train. Before even dropping off the luggage at the house we entered two of the best pubs Leeds has to offer those being The North Bar and Mr. Foleys.

First up something simple and light my Mom went with the ever so popular Kirkstall 3 Swords and sipped that while my Father drank the brown ale that Zak Avery and the Great Heck Brewery brewed up while I enjoyed my favourite of the Brewdog beers 5am saint. As they were sipping and I was gulping seeing that it was one of my first brews in almost a week we sat and watched the busy people of Leeds walk by the window and laughed because for the first time in 18 months I was able to enjoy some beer with my parents.


 

Then came the all to painful walk to Mr Foleys to show them where I worked and enjoyed some more damn tasty beer. I had a Brewdog Punk IPA, Mom had an Brewdog Alice Porter and Dad had a Jever because he enjoys Pils so I got him one of the better ones on the beer scene. We finished by sharing yes sharing a half pint of Centurion's Ghost because I wanted them to try the beer that set me on my way to the wonderful world of cask ale. Wouldn't you know after Mr Foleys was finished we again had to take the journey back to North to pick up the luggage and thought "hey why the hell not lets go ahead and try some more beer" so Mom opted for Brewdog's 5 am saint Dad opted for a bottle of Magic Rock Cannonball and I decided that it was almost Oktoberfest so I went for a Schneider Weisse Tap 5. So again lazily sipping our beers we gathered out things and were heading out the door and I noticed something different on the last pump clip I knew they had it but I just didn't know that I would get to enjoy with it being North Bar and the the amount of people they get in but there it was Flying Dog Centennial IPA so I naturally split a half with my dad while mom went and smoked a cigarette and although super tasty we didn't have to time savor it and sadly finished a half in 4 sips between the both of us and ran to catch our taxi.


Now for the finale of our Saturday adventures when we arrived home I had a couple of beery treats put away for there visit. Late afternoon it came to be and I decided to get out some bottles that I bought from the accessible Beer Ritz in Headlingley before they arrived into Leeds. First up were some Kernal Brews the 4's IPA and the India Export Stout, some Old Tom and a Darkstar Expresso Stout were all opened to celebrate them getting to the house safe and sound and that is were Saturday ended.

This will be a continuous blog about the week we had and will include my daughters birthday with a special guest Black Tokyo Horizon brought by Dean at Mr Foleys, A trip to the Grove in Huddersfield with all types of beery folk and a couple more trips to the now locally famous Beer Ritz.

No comments:

Post a Comment